Thursday, October 25, 2007

Engrish

I saw this on a popular shopping street in Seoul. It's a rather extreme example, but bewildering text like this is everywhere in Japan and Korea. When I came across the awning pictured above, it wasn't actually as shocking as it could have been, because I had already seen this exact storefront on Engrish.com, a wonderful site that catalogues these hilarious phenomena.

How does this happen? Anything in English is COOL. So it's used everywhere in Japan and Korea, even though the vast majority of the target demographic can't understand it.

As mentioned above, http://www.engrish.com has all the goods in this department, but I'll list some more that I've personally encountered.

Yes, the first one is a dentist's office. Tomato Planning provides some kind of real estate service as far as I can tell.

Like with a lot of Engrish, often the interesting part to me isn't so much the grammar errors (tooth/teeth), but the attitude conveyed in the message.

This is a small desk organizer I bought whose sign reads "I will enjoy your space combining various items".

The robot in question was a fifteen-foot figure at a children's museum where many people have their pictures taken.

This cap makes a strong case, but is completely out of touch with the state of Japanese drug use, as far as I know. Penalties for even small user quantities of marijuana or cocaine involve significant jail time, and there isn't any legalization movement to speak of, making it that much stranger that I found this hat in a Sears-like department store.

I learned in Poland that you can't really expect people from totally homogeneous countries to grasp the complexities of American race relations, and I must admit, I'm not sure where I would start if I had to explain to this store's staff why they shouldn't have a rack labeled "black music".

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh, I love engrish.com, and it's exciting to see your personal observations.

Do you know if any of the products with the philosophical-sounding, enjoyment-related phrases have something similar written in Korean?

A friend of mine from high school studied in Japan in high school, and she brought back a photo of the schoolbag all her classmates had to have. It said something like this:

"To my boyfriend:
You're the loveliest chap I know
Especially when your THING starts to grow."

Anonymous said...

Perhaps Tomato Planning has something to do with Tomato Bank?

Tomato Bank is a Chinese bank headquartered in the U.S. with a clientèle made up mostly of mostly Asian immigrants. There's a branch in Little Tokyo West in Los Angeles.

But maybe not?

Anonymous said...

Goast, do you remenver me?

I have a pin with this written on it that I bought in Tokyo. Japan definitely has more and wilder Engrish than Korea; but in Seoul I did stop in at the Coffee & Cake Preppie bar, and it was pretty great.

(By the way, the San Francisco joint on Karmelicka still serves coffe)

Anonymous said...

I'm convinced that they know what they're doing with their Engrish, they just think it's hilarious is all. I mean, I'm laughing.

Don't let their austere front fool you, beneath every Japanese lies an amateur comedian.

Anonymous said...

i really hope you bought one of those shirts that says "do you feel so good." i love it love it love it.

that hat is going to inspire me to write a modern japanese version of the merchant of venice.